The Engagement Director is charged with creating and supporting avenues for our organization to listen and respond to public input and for the public to learn about the environment and become increasingly engaged in efforts to protect and restore their local land and waterways. They will provide strategic oversight and management for our community outreach, volunteer, environmental education, community science, and nature programs, ensuring that these efforts are aligned and collectively provide sufficient opportunity for people to continue to deepen their engagement with our mission. The Engagement Director will lead and mentor a team of two full-time and two part-time staff.
The Engagement Director is a member of the organizational leadership team and is expected to be a role model for staff of the integrity, innovation, and joy we can bring to our everyday work. We are seeking someone who is eager to contribute to a culture that values relationships, and whose leadership style prioritizes listening to others and serving the best interests and needs of our internal and external communities. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. Some work on weekends and evenings is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic oversight and management of engagement programs (programs include, but are not limited to volunteer, community outreach, community science, environmental education, and nature programs) ensuring all programs are aligned with our strategic plan, that they are equitable and inclusive, and that they are in compliance with internal policies and state, local, and federal laws
- Build relationships with community leaders and organizations. Identify and pursue mutually beneficial program partnerships
- Plan and implement an iterative program improvement process; this will include program evaluations and a process for measuring key outcomes for each of our programs. Report on program outcomes on a regular basis
- Work with the administrative team to set the annual budget for the department based on a clear and comprehensive understanding of organizational priorities. Oversee the financial activities of the department in collaboration with the Finance Director
- Manage and support the Engagement team, ensuring that the team has the resources and skills needed to meet department objectives and key results and all other aspects of their work. Provide regular feedback on staff performance and provide support and opportunities for growth
- Secure funding for engagement programs through full-cycle grant management and by collaborating with the Development team on major donor relationships and helping to identify new donor prospects from among our volunteers and program participants
- Collaborate with the Conservation team on strategic opportunities to engage people in our conservation work and on public programs and educational opportunities
- Collaborate with the Communications Specialist on program-related communications
- Provide support and information to the Board as required. Serve as liaison to appropriate Board committees as requested by the Executive Director
- Special projects as assigned