About Mighty Writers
Mighty Writers is a nonprofit that teaches kids, ages two to 17, to think and write with clarity. Our free, out-of-school writing programs in Philadelphia, PA; Chester County, PA; Atlantic City, NJ; and Camden, NJ have grown to serve 3,750 youth per year. We currently have six locations in Philadelphia, including a bilingual (Spanish/English) site in the 9th Street Market section of Philadelphia, a hub of the Mexican American community. We also see many bilingual youth/families at MW Kennett in West Grove, PA and MW Camden. For more information, visit www.mightywriters.org.
The Bilingual Program Manager reports to the Education Director.
Bilingual Program Manager will write curriculum and teach in a variety of capacities at MW El Futuro and will provide project updates and report on the state of the program. The Bilingual Program Manager (Spanish/English) will establish and teach an aggressive lineup of year-round, bilingual (Spanish/English), out-of-school programs, five afternoons/evenings a week, supported in large part by a robust volunteer program (in-person or online, based upon community needs and safety).
The successful applicant will be entrepreneurial: able to build unique programs, to be accountable and to take ownership of program results. S/he will have high expectations for students, will work well with diverse constituencies and will have a good rapport with people of all ages and backgrounds, including children, teenagers, parents and volunteers. S/he will be self-motivated, work well under pressure and be able to handle several projects at one time. S/he will have good judgment and an eye for detail; as well as the ability to see the big picture.
· Be a part-time face of Mighty Writers, serving as instructor, manager, parent liaison and/or translator as needed
· Recruit kids and teens for programs, workshops and mentorships through targeted outreach to students, parents, educators and community members
· Create, revise and translate written materials for the site
· Design, deliver & manage a once/week resource email in Spanish, prioritizing Spanish-language offerings by Mighty Writers and providing other health, education and resource information, to be distributed to no less than 1000+ families weekly
· Design, deliver & manage no less than two summer camps or workshops, which will be made available to Spanish-speaking youth from throughout the greater Philadelphia area, including Camden and Chester Counties
· Design, deliver & manage daily afterschool Academy for either elementary or middle school group (20 students, in-person or online, September to June)
· Design, deliver & manage weekly Teen Scholars program, or similar weekly enrichment program for high schoolers (2 hours, one evening a week, in-person or online, September to June)
· Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent or sensitive information
Education and Work Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Education, Arts Administration, Liberal Arts, History, English, Social Work, or Public Administration (preferred, but not required); and/or equivalent prior experience
· Experience working directly with city youth in an educational setting
· Experience leading classes online
· Strong writing skills
· Minimum of 2 years of direct experience working with youth in an educational environment
· A strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed
· Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills in both English and Spanish
· Strong organizational, time management and computer skills
· Proven management and leadership capabilities
· Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with children, youth and adults
· Hourly wage commensurate with experience, $15-23/hour
How to Apply
Fluent Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cover letter should answer these questions:
· What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does this philosophy come from?
· How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.