Lutheran Settlement House is part of a movement rooted in radical compassion and focused on making lasting, meaningful change in people’s lives and in our community. The voices of our clients guide our work, telling us what supports they need and what needs to change in our city. Our staff shares deeply held values that make us a welcoming, responsive, and reliable safe haven for some of Philadelphia’s most vulnerable populations. We accompany our clients in times of crisis, we are catalysts for building community, and we joyfully celebrate the strength of those we serve. If this sounds like you, if you’re looking for a workplace where you can live out your values and a workplace that values your growth and development, we invite you to apply.
Scope of Position:
Under the supervision of the Shelter Director, the Assistant Shelter Director of Jane Addams Place is responsible for managing high-quality trauma-informed case management, youth programming, and therapeutic services at our family shelter.
· Understands, articulates, and reflects in professional practice the mission and philosophy of Lutheran Settlement House & Jane Addams Place
· Supervises Case Managers (2), Therapist, and Manager of Child & Youth Programming
· Supports and develops programming and community partnerships
· Assists Shelter Director with identifying staff training needs and opportunities
· Ensures case management services adhere to all requirements of the Office of Homeless Services standards
· Maintains high-quality data in funder databases and ensures quality control for case files
· Oversees client surveys and feedback process, ensuring services reflect resident choices and voices
· Plans and facilitates residential community meetings
· Meets individually with residents and staff to resolve concerns where needed
· Supervises MSW interns, ensuring maximal learning opportunities and trainings
· Other duties as assigned
· Master’s degree in Social Work or related human services, plus 3-5+ years of applicable social work experience
· Experience working within residential and/or homeless services strongly preferred
· Case management and supervisory experience required
· Excellent interpersonal and decision making skills, exercises good judgement, highly skilled in crisis management
· Ability to maintain healthy professional boundaries and model those boundaries for others
· Fosters a culture of mutual respect, curiosity, and empowerment for residents and staff alike
· Supervises staff with an emphasis on growth, learning, and professional development
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
Salary: USD $55,000 – USD $58,000 / year
· Our benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as agency-funded life and disability insurances.
· Our paid time off package includes an annual 3-4 weeks of vacation, 12 days of paid sick time, and 5 personal days to use at your discretion.
· We observe 16 organization-wide holidays, and an early close on Fridays during the Summer.
· Our 401k retirement savings program offers a 1% match, and we offer pre-tax flexible spending accounts for health, travel, and dependent care.
· We value growth and learning, and offer trainings and conference participation whenever possible.
· We understand that employees are people first and foremost, and are committed to an overall supportive and flexible organizational culture.
· Our work is critical but we know it’s not easy, so we aim to infuse joy wherever possible. Whether we are offering free yoga and exercise classes, ending all-staff meetings with Karaoke or Bingo, or committing steadfast to a snack-based meeting culture – we aim to balance the weight of our work with laughter and levity as often as we can.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English (reading/writing/verbal communication), Bilingual English and Spanish preferred but not required.
Please send cover letter and resume to jobs@LSHphilly.org and put “Assistant Shelter Director” in subject line. We look forward to working with you!
LSH is committed to creating an inclusive experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or identity, we firmly believe that we serve our communities best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.
We are an equal opportunity employer and applicants from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.