Since the early 1950s, Natural Lands has saved open space, cared for nature, and connected people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Today, the organization is one of the nation’s largest regional land conservancies and is widely respected for its record of success, technical expertise, respectful and creative approach to partnerships, fiscal strength, and integrity.
Over the course of its nearly 70-year history, Natural Lands has helped preserve more than 135,000 acres including a network of 42 nature preserves and one public garden across two states and 13 counties. These properties total 23,000 acres and include many of the most spectacular and diverse properties in the region, which are enjoyed by more than 300,000 visitors annually.
Natural Lands seeks to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves. We welcome you to explore a career at Natural Lands.
The Director of Development Services oversees Natural Lands’ fundraising operations and directs all internal support services—including processes, procedures, quality control, technical advancements, data management, and reporting—with the goal of strengthening organizational capacity to grow philanthropic revenue and deepen donor relationships. The position has core responsibility for coordinating with the Finance Department as well as overseeing Development’s technical requirements, and providing day-to-day supervision for the Donor Database Manager and Development Coordinator. As an integral member of a nine-person, fast-paced, and highly motivated development team, the Director of Development Services has additional assignments associated with strategic and work planning, budgeting, and events.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum seven years of development experience, including a track record of attending to fundraising operations.
• Broad knowledge of all facets of a sophisticated development program.
• In-depth knowledge of development tracking and digital communications systems, specifically Raiser’s Edge as well as research analytics and screening tools.
• Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, organizational leadership, and colleagues across different levels of the organization.
• Demonstrated track record of success managing and monitoring complex budgets, department management and administration, and current trends in philanthropy.
• History of direct supervisory experience of two or more employees.
• A talent for managing up (particularly senior management and board leadership), including evidence of successful relationship management partnerships.
• Unwavering commitment to discretion in dealing with donor information.
• Exceptional and practiced history of written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to understand and articulate Natural Lands’ case for support as well as organizational priorities.
• Capacity to balance multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and to work productively and amicably in a fast-paced and motivated environment.
• Strong interest in conservation and Natural Lands’ mission.
• Commitment to take CPR and basic first aid training if not certified already.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Position requires occasional hiking hills and walking uneven terrain in addition to reaching, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling for placement and setup of event support items up to 20-35 pounds (tables, chairs, signs, displays, etc.).
• Ability to travel throughout the region (eastern PA and southern NJ) for events, with a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
• Position requires a flexible schedule with the ability to work evenings and weekends, particularly during busy seasons.
Salary: USD $75,000 – USD $85,000 / year
Natural Lands is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
TO APPLY: visit our website at https://natlands.org/everything-else/careers/job-openings/ and complete the online application process. Please address all applications to Tiffany Sowers, Vice President of Human Resources.