Living Beyond Breast Cancer is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to connect people impacted by breast cancer with trusted information and a community of support. With a full-time staff of over 30, a national Board of Directors and Medical Advisory Board as well as a network of volunteer leaders around the country, we are working to create a world that understands there is more than one way to have breast cancer. To fulfill our mission, we offer on-demand emotional, practical, and evidence-based content that is meaningful to those newly diagnosed, in treatment, post-treatment, and living with metastatic disease. LBBC provides education and training for health care providers who work directly with breast cancer patients. For over 30 years, LBBC has imparted wisdom and connection via conferences, webinars, a comprehensive website, publications, a peer-to-peer helpline, and more. Today, we remain committed to creating a culture of acceptance—where sharing the diversity of the lived experience of breast cancer fosters self-advocacy and hope.
We are poised to grow as we increase revenue, expand our geographic footprint, build brand recognition, and serve more people diagnosed with breast cancer and the healthcare providers and caregivers involved in their treatment and their lives. We are at the beginning of a three-year strategic plan and have several other long term organizational efforts focused on clarifying the impact LBBC seeks to make and how to measure that impact. The LBBC team – board, staff, volunteers, and funders – are passionate, collaborative, and dedicated to supporting people at a vulnerable time in their lives. We know each person’s experience with breast cancer is unique, and we are committed to supporting people in multitude ways that meet their needs.
The Senior Vice President, Strategy & Mission (SVP), is an influential, innovative, and inclusive leader who delivers on organizational goals by planning strategically, building authentic relationships, publicly representing LBBC, raising funds and coaching, mentoring, motivating, and supporting both new and seasoned staff members. This high-profile position partners with the Chief Executive Officer to ensure the success of Living Beyond Breast Cancer and thereby the hundreds of thousands of people we serve annually.
The SVP has overall strategic responsibility for programs/mission delivery; outreach to health care providers, partners, and leadership volunteers; and marketing and communications. They are responsible for raising a minimum of $2 million annually from industry partners, building and stewarding key partnerships with peer organizations, and publicly representing the organization.
In this position, the vision and strategy of LBBC are unified across departments so that we can achieve our vision of a world where no one impacted by breast cancer feels uninformed or alone. To achieve this, we need to continue expanding our footprint across the United States, serving our community with information and support that positively impacts their lives and reflects their experience with breast cancer.
The Senior Vice President reports to the Chief Executive Officer. They are part of the executive leadership team, and they oversee three teams and supervise three direct reports: Vice President Mission Delivery; Director, Marketing and Communication; and Director, Digital Content Strategy.
The Senior Vice President is responsible for achieving outcomes and defining and meeting the aggressive metrics of LBBC.
- Leads the LBBC board of directors and staff in identifying strategic imperatives, developing the organization’s strategic and operational plan, and ensuring its implementation.
- Builds a shared vision of success and inspires and supports staff and stakeholders to embrace change, transformative initiatives, and new ways of working.
- Develops innovative strategies to secure outcomes and remain nimble and relevant in a rapidly changing environment.
- Follows through with projects to ensure timely and successful outcomes while keeping stakeholders informed.
- Solves problems with a strategic focus on maintaining and building relationships and exceeding outcome measures.
- Ensures key programs and initiatives are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
- Develops trusted and authentic partnerships and relationships quickly and effectively with national peer organizations, industry funders, grassroots organizations, media, and health and policy related organizations.
- Builds and sustains industry partnerships to secure a minimum of $2 million annually to support LBBC’s strategic goals.
- Positions LBBC as a trusted and invaluable partner, balancing when LBBC should lead and when we should support and lift up others.
- Cultivates and manages external relationships that advance LBBC’s strategic vision.
- Stewards diverse partnerships in a constantly changing environment.
- Leads with vision and strategy that motivates and inspires diverse stakeholders.
- Ensures progress on DEI initiatives and sets the standard for establishing a community of belonging for everyone.
- Serves as a thought and decision-making partner with the CEO.
- Attracts, develops, coaches, and retains high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility and performance.
- Creates opportunities for shared decision-making and leadership opportunities.
- Seeks input of others as needed and makes strategic decisions.
- Understands the big picture, establishes focus, and directs work to key initiatives.
- Creates a culture of innovation and safety by encouraging calculated risk-taking and viewing mistakes and setbacks as learning opportunities.
- Celebrates success and values the contributions of others.
- Positions the organization as a credible, invaluable thought leader in the areas of patient education and patient advocacy.
- Uses influence, knowledge, and strategy to build the profile of LBBC.
- Represents the organization nationally and locally with corporate, nonprofit, and governmental partners.
- Identifies and takes advantage of new opportunities to position LBBC as a national leader in the field of breast cancer patient support, education, and advocacy.
- Minimum of ten years of nonprofit experience in increasingly more responsible positions.
- Skills and experience to deliver on key responsibilities.
- Ability to raise funds by building and maintaining industry partnerships.
- Experience in healthcare, disease, breast cancer/oncology, health care, advocacy, or health policy.
- Capable of successfully managing, coaching, and nurturing diverse personalities to build skills and success.
- Ability to meet or exceed multiple strategic metrics across program, fundraising, outreach, and marketing.
- Ability to travel throughout the year for national conferences and other business-related meetings/events; 6-8 trips per year expected.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is headquartered just outside Philadelphia in Bala Cynwyd, PA, and is a hybrid workplace with some work required in the office. Preference is given to residents in the Philadelphia region or those willing to relocate.
The salary range for the Senior Vice President begins at $145,000. LBBC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, 401(k) with annual 4% employer match plus an additional annual discretionary contribution (most recently an additional 5%) and generous paid time off.
The anticipated interview process, includes:
- E-mail and telephone screenings
- Two interviews
- Position-appropriate exercise
To make recommendations or express interest in this position, please contact Lori Blair. To apply, please submit your cover letter, resumé, and two work samples to: Senior Vice President, Strategy & Mission – Living Beyond Breast Cancer (applicantstack.com)
All inquiries and discussions are strictly confidential.
Lori Blair, Vice President
ABOUT FAIRMOUNT VENTURES
Fairmount Ventures is a women-owned and led consulting business committed to catalyzing social impact and equity in cities and communities by building the capacity of the nonprofit and public sectors. Our multi-disciplinary team and collaborative approach provide clients with insightful guidance and deep connection to resources as they work to advance the well-being and life prospects of their constituents. A thought partner to 500+ organizations since 1992, Fairmount leverages our unparalleled knowledge of the nonprofit, public, and higher education sectors in the Philadelphia region and beyond to benefit every client. We position the sector to grow and thrive through a continuum of related services including strategic and business planning, fundraising, board development, and executive search.
Fairmount’s full-time professional team is purposefully recruited from diverse backgrounds, experience, and academic training. See fairmountinc.com for a complete overview of the firm.