The United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey (UWGPSNJ) is committed to ending intergenerational poverty in our region. UWGPSNJ’s mission is to end poverty and expand opportunity for all. As the organization nears its 100th anniversary of serving Greater Philadelphia, it is focused on new approaches to harnessing the collective power of our region to help individuals and families break the cycle of poverty and new ways of engaging and investing in the communities it serves. It deploys five primary tools toward this end:
● Motivate individual, corporate, and institutional philanthropy;
● Inspire, organize, equip, and deploy committed volunteers to drive this mission and vision;
● Invest in evidence-based programming to increase opportunity and employment, financial empowerment for families, and resource high-quality early education;
● Measure progress and improve the nonprofit sector in the areas of data/evaluation, leadership, and organizational effectiveness; and
● Convene local and national leaders to build and execute groundbreaking strategies for the region.
The Managing Director, Human Resources serves as a key member of the organization’s leadership team and is responsible for leading and implementing the vision, strategy, development, and execution of the organization’s effectiveness in the areas of talent and culture management programs aimed at advancing the mission and enhancing business results. This position requires not only the ability to lead the HR function but also to perform the associated tasks.
The Managing Director will partner with the organization’s leadership team and key stakeholders to ensure the development and advancement of an empowered, inclusive, values-driven workplace culture, and actively plan for, address, and forecast future talent and culture needs, inclusive of change management. This includes strategies that improve communication and collaboration between management and employees and ensure our workforce reflects our communities and the diverse populations we serve.
Overall, the Managing Director will offer timely, forward-thinking counsel on all issues related to the organization’s use of talent and culture in support of its mission to end intergenerational poverty in the region.
The Managing Director, Human Resource reports to the General Counsel & Chief People Officer.
This is a full-time hybrid [a combination of remote and in-office] position in a flexible work environment. The office is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Provides human capital management leadership to critical and organization-wide initiatives related to business process redesign and change management.
- Catalyzes organizational performance through leadership – linking strategy to structure, building transformational change approaches, and facilitating complex organizational issues.
- Leads and implements the organization’s employee engagement and retention initiatives to increase organizational, programmatic, and individual performance.
- Influences organizational decision-making with the use of relevant, value-added metrics. Analyzes and reports on the same in a manner that aligns with and supports the organization’s strategic short-term and long-term business objectives.
- Identifies, recommends and assists in the implementation of opportunities to improve and align supporting systems; creates and implements an integrated approach to talent and culture management.
Leadership and Talent Management Strategy
- Oversees, develops and executes talent acquisition and retention strategies and plans, including directing the design and implementation of organization-wide employment programs for recruitment and retention strategies, candidate identification and selection methods, and diversity and inclusion strategies and measurements.
- Develops and implements strategy and initiative that enable all employees to engage and align with the business mission, vision, and strategy; helps articulate and develop new behaviors and ways of working that are required to deliver the business priorities.
- Designs and implements integrated talent management solutions including executive coaching, individual development planning, comprehensive talent reviews, succession planning, and leadership development.
- Builds a comprehensive diversity and inclusion strategy and builds diversity and inclusion as a capability throughout leadership and in the organization.
- Drive the business ownership of the culture transformation and employee engagement through influencing, educating, and managing key stakeholders including, but not limited to staff, leadership teams, board committees, and HR peers and business leaders in the region.
- Implement best practices, and leverage analytics and digital solutions to drive strategies for retention, culture change, and other relevant factors impacting employee engagement.
- Partner with key stakeholders to deploy business culture and employee engagement strategies.
Recruitment, Retention and Training
- Conducts recruitment, selection and onboarding activities to include creating, reviewing and updating job descriptions; developing recruitment strategies with hiring managers and screening qualified candidates; advising departmental managers through all phases of the search and selection process; conducting reference checks; negotiating salary offers; and coordinating onboarding of new staff and conducting new hire orientations.
- Exercises judgement in use of internal versus external resources in recruiting and hiring process.
- Work to promote UWGPSNJ’s brand and foster a positive candidate experience.
- Ensures that the organization’s commitment to DEI is reflected in the organization’s policies, procedures, training and practices.
- Develop and implement training for all employees to ensure employees understand their roles, their legal obligations, and the organization’s culture and expectations.
- Gather benchmark data about jobs, compensation and benefits to drive a culture of appreciation.
- Assist in the development of a performance management process, including training, to assist the organization in meeting its mission.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to understand the organization goals and objectives and work to support each department with appropriate training and performance management.
- Ensure that job descriptions are up to date and compliant with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Manage employee leave requests including FMLA, STD. and other types of leave; preparation of all leave documentation and tracking of leaves.
- Process unemployment and workers’ compensation claims.
- Responsible for all government required compliance reports.
- Facilitate the annual Code of Ethics compliance.
- Keeps current with industry regulations and trends and other relevant human resources information.
- Proactively map out and communicate salary ranges for open positions.
- Interface with Payroll/Finance on employee benefits and payroll.
- Oversee the independent contractor and intern process.
- In partnership with the organization’s benefits consultant, plan, develop, manage, and administer employee benefit programs.
- In partnership with the organization’s benefits consultant, direct open enrollment for the organization.
- The responsibilities for this position are broad as is the agenda for business transformation at the organization. Moving to a high-performing, results-driven organization requires a leader who is a highly effective, influential change agent and a high-impact, emotionally intelligent professional.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus a Human Resources designation.
- Hands-on experience and expertise in all aspects of HR-related policies and procedures.
- Ten (10) years or more of relevant work experience with an emphasis on employee engagement, employee experience, organizational effectiveness, or other related HR disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience with organization-wide initiatives and ability to work effectively in an environment of change.
- Strong analytical capabilities with experience in mining, organizing, and interpreting human capital and organizational data and information to support the development and implementation of talent engagement and retention.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Must have proven ability to conceptualize, lead, implement, and monitor broad human resources-related programs and initiatives in the context of broader business/organizational objectives.
- Requires well-developed and highly effective listening, communication, presentation, and persuasive skills, including the ability to receive, process, and present both strategic and tactical information to diverse audiences while maintaining effective, collaborative relationships with all stakeholders including members of the Board of Directors, outside organizations, vendors, business leaders, management, and staff.
- Proficiency or the ability to quickly learn MS software, HRIS and talent management systems, and other systems as required.
- High personal and professional integrity to maintain a high level of confidentiality and use discretion providing counsel.
This is full-time exempt position.
Benefits include a competitive salary (commensurate with experience), 403(b) plan, 11 Holidays, Paid Time Off, Sick Time, Life Insurance, LT Disability in addition to a full complement of Health and Welfare benefits.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of background checks as determined by UWGPSNJ.
UWGPSNJ has retained Dunleavy & Associates as their partner for this search. In order to be considered, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter via the following LINK or directly to Patty Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Way of Greater Philadelphia & Southern New Jersey provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.